I’m so grateful that our churches seem to be waking up and responding better to domestic abuse these days. But for every church we see working on getting educated we see many more still resorting to counsel like this. Please continue to pray with us that our churches will wake up and show God’s love and hope to those who are oppressed.
A few weeks ago I posted a simple question to survivors of domestic violence in a few online forums. The question was, ” Could you shareexamples of bad counsel you’ve received from churches and counselors?” In less than an hour I had over 50 responses. Below arejust some the answers I received.
- Pray more, have more sex, ask God to show you what you’re doing to make him so angry.
- “Read this book on how to be a better wife.” “Just stop pushing his buttons; you know what they are.”
- You need to treat your husband like he has special needs. Step back from things so you can give him your full attention.
- “He never meant you any harm. Just trust God- don’t fight for anything in the divorce settlement. You are bitter- you need to forgive him.
- ” Well, I don’t think he was TRYING to kill you…
View original post 1,079 more words